Saturday 22 October 2011

First Calgary Visit

We have been visiting Rusty in Calgary for the last couple of days, and it has been...well...interesting. 

We are staying in a hotel with the strangest staff ever; I am not sure they have it all together here.  I went down stairs to do some reading in the lobby while Rusty and Izzie were sleeping, and the front desk lady spent approximately 37 minutes talking about how she and her husband are traveling around to see Judas Priest on their final tour starting in Las Vegas. That is their favorite band, and the JP catalog in her brain was creepy, not to mention her enthusiastically foul language.  Then yesterday, the maid just walked in our room without knocking to make sure we were still checked in.  I realize that we have had the Do Not Disturb sign on for a couple of days, but Hello! would it kill ya to knock? Rusty was changing his shirt when she walked in, so you know, AWKWARD. Oh did I mention I talked to the creepy Judas Priest fanatic at least four times (discussing issues with the room) and each time she asked my room number.  So...yes...we are still checked in.

Rusty is working the night shift and sleeps during the day (hence the Do Not Disturb sign), so Izzie and I have to make ourselves scarce in the mornings.  We have had to be creative to find things to do that are inside (the temperatures are in the 20s in the mornings...at least I think so...I can't read Celsius...that is my best Fahrenheit guess) and not super expensive.  Fortunately, there is a web site that archives all of the family activities in Calgary. We went to this cool coffee shop that has a huge indoor play place for toddlers, a fun book store for kids with a free story time, and the outlet mall near our hotel has a free play place.  You can get good deals and wear out the kiddo at the same time.  Score!

This morning Izzie went to her first movie in a movie theater.  Before you wag your finger in judgement, I realize TV and movies at this age are bad for her, but I challenge you to find free things to do in a new city.  That's right, I said free. The local theaters were having a community day and showing certain movies for free.  We chose Happy Feet, and she did pretty well.  We only spilled half a bag of popcorn all over the floor, and she made it through 3/4 of the movie before her dancing in the aisle got too distracting to ignore. A general success, I'd say.

We are heading back to Fernie tomorrow which is probably a good thing since Izzie has gone all Keith Moon on our hotel room and destroyed the place.  In addition to general messiness, rhe ripped a full length mirror off the wall.  I'm talking dry wall falling on her head damage. At least we know someone who hangs things for a living. Rusty was able to fix it, so they won't know but Geeze!  The good news is Rusty will be off for 10 days starting Wednesday.  Yay!

I don't have a camera with me now, so no fun pictures.  I promise I will take plenty in the next week to make up for the lack of posts and pics.

Ciao

PS- I was just reading through this, and Izzie sneezed.  I didn't say anything because I was reading, and she said, "Umm, Bless you, Izzie" with a tone that chastised my rudeness.  I'm glad she keeps me in line. 

1 comment: